This article is brought to you by the Personal Finance Insider team. It has not been reviewed, approved, or otherwise endorsed by any of the issuers listed. Some of the offers you see on the page are from our partners like Citi and American Express, but our coverage is always independent. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page.
- Every American Express card features a program called Amex Offers, which gives discounts or bonus rewards points when you use your card for purchases at certain retailers, restaurants, or services.
- If you have cards like The Platinum Card® from American Express or the American Express® Gold Card, you can save hundreds of dollars each year, or earn thousands of extra points.
- Offers are specifically targeted to each person, and even each different card that person has. That means that having a few Amex cards will likely get you access to a wider range of offers.
- We're seeing travel-related Amex Offers creep back, including discounts for hotel stays and car rentals.
- See Business Insider's list of the best American Express cards »
I love The Platinum Card® from American Express for valuable perks like airport lounge access and 5x points on flights booked directly with the airline or with American Express Travel (starting January 1, 2021, the 5x points will apply up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year), but the card also comes with lesser-known benefits that can save you money. (Note: New Platinum Card® cardmembers can earn 10x points on eligible purchases at U.S. Gas Stations and U.S. Supermarkets, on up to $15,000 in combined purchases, during the first 6 months of card membership).
One of those benefits that are available through virtually every Amex card, but isn't the most widely known, is Amex Offers. In this past year alone, I've used offers to save money on purchases from J.Crew, Instacart, and FreshDirect, and to earn bonus points at Amazon.
We're focused here on the rewards and perks that come with each card. These cards won't be worth it if you're paying interest or late fees. When using a credit card, it's important to pay your balance in full each month, make payments on time, and only spend what you can afford to pay.
What are Amex Offers?
The Amex Offers program provides cardholders with discounts at various stores, restaurants, and services, or, if not a discount, then chances to earn extra points.
The interesting part of the program is that each offer is specifically targeted to individual users and each user's specific cards. That means that you and I might get different offers, and I might even see different offers across my several different Amex cards. That adds a real benefit to having multiple Amex cards — even if you just use them to be eligible for more offers, you have a better chance of getting good ones.
One of the appeals of the Amex Offers program is that the offers continuously change. Offers can be for national brands, but are also targeted based on your billing address — for example, I have a few offers for shops and restaurants that have a New York City location.
The Platinum Card® from American Express
It's important to note that many offers have expiration dates, so be sure to keep an eye on them to make sure that you use them in time. Also remember that while you'll get some different offers on each card, there will also be some overlap.
Source: Read Full Article