Child Benefit: Adding a child to Child Benefit claim

You get extra Child Benefit money if you have more than one child. You need to let the Government know when you have another child, though. Here’s all you need to know about adding a child to your Child Benefit claim.

What is Child Benefit?

Citizens from England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland can claim Child Benefit.

It is a benefit paid to parents or other people responsible for bringing up a child.

You don’t need to be a particular age to make a claim, and Child Benefit is not means-tested.

It also is not taxable, but you could be liable for a tax charge if you or your partner earn over £50,000.

READ MORE- Child Benefit: You may pay a tax charge – use this calculator to help


  • Child benefit: Is child benefit included in Universal Credit payment?

Who can get Child Benefit?

You get Child Benefit if you’re responsible for bringing up a child who is:
• Under 16
• Under 20 if they stay in approved education or training

Only one person can get Child Benefit for a child.

It’s paid every four weeks and there’s no limit to how many children you can claim for.

How much is Child Benefit?

In the 2020/21 tax year, you can claim:
• £21.05 per week for your first child
• £13.95 a week for any further children

That’s more than £1,000 a year if you have one child and an extra £700 for second and further children.

Child Benefit payment dates will change next month  [INFORMER]
State pension UK: How parents could boost their retirement income [INSIGHT]
Child Benefit: This is what happens to payments if the child moves [EXPLAINER]


  • Benefit fraud warning: DWP could halt your payments – be aware

Adding a child to Child Benefit claim

If you have another child, you will need to let the Government know to get extra money.

Ring the Child Benefit helpline on 0300 200 3100, 0300 200 1900 for Welsh language, 0300 200 3103 for textphone, or +44 161 210 3086 from outside of the UK if:
• Your child is under six months old and lives with you
• Your child was born in the UK and their birth was registered in England, Scotland or Wales more than 24 hours ago
• You’re a UK, EEA or Swiss national and you’ve lived in the UK since the start of your claim

When you ring, you will need to give your National Insurance number or Child Benefit number.

Keep your child’s birth certificate on standby too, because you’ll need to give details from it.

If the above criteria don’t apply to you, you will need to add another child to your claim via post.

Fill in the Child Benefit form CH2 and send it to the address on the form– the Child Benefit Office.

Source: Read Full Article