Five items you should avoid putting in microwaves including takeout containers

Microwaves are popular kitchen appliances that are used to make dinners, hot drinks and other recipes.

Some of the most popular microwave recipes include pastas, hot milk and mug cakes.

Microwaves can last for almost 10 years if they’re looked after correctly but when they’re not, problems can develop fast.

With the cost of a new microwave averaging between £80 to £500, a new microwave is something you want to avoid buying regularly.

Now, appliance experts at RGBDirect have shared which items you should never put in the microwave to protect it.

READ MORE: ‘Dirtiest’ areas in your kitchen to clean now or risk ‘bacteria’

1. Plastic containers

Plastic containers that are not labelled as microwave-safe should not be put in the microwave.

The experts said: “Not all plastic containers are safe for microwave use. Only use containers that are labelled as microwave-safe.

“Other plastics may release harmful chemicals when heated, potentially contaminating your food.”

2. Styrofoam

While it may be tempting to heat your takeaway kebab from the night before, some types pf styrofoam containers are not microwave-safe which is why it’s essential to check the labels.

Microwaving non-microwave-safe styrofoam can cause it to melt or “release harmful chemicals” into your food.

Don’t miss…
4 items to ‘never microwave’ – can cause ‘electric sparks’ resulting in a fire[INSIGHT]
Cheapest kitchen appliance ‘by far’ costs just 5p per hour – save on bills[UPDATE]
Homemade paste removes heavy grease and food residue from ovens for just 65p[LATEST]

3. Metal objects

Most people will know that metal objects in the microwave can cause sparks and even fires.

As well as microwave objects, homeowners should avoid putting tin foil, metal utensils and containers with metal accents into the microwave.

Metal reflects microwave energy which can create a dangerous situation.

4. Foil-lined containers

The experts said: “Containers lined with foil, such as takeout containers or disposable packaging with metallic coatings, should not be microwaved.

“The foil can cause sparks and damage the microwave’s interior.”

  • Support fearless journalism
  • Read The Daily Express online, advert free
  • Get super-fast page loading

5. Grapes or foods with high water content

When you microwave certain high-water foods like grapes, a phenomenon called “microwave plasma” can occur.

If grapes are cut in half and then placed close together, sparks and plasma can be created which may damage the microwave.

These foods can also heat up and explode in the microwave.

Source: Read Full Article