Jobseeker’s Allowance payments: How much do you get on JSA?

We will use your email address only for sending you newsletters. Please see our Privacy Notice for details of your data protection rights.

Jobseeker’s Allowance comes in two forms, income-based and contribution-based. Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance is in the process of being replaced by Universal Credit. New Style JSA is a contribution-based benefit, which means you may be able to claim it if you’ve paid and/or been credited with enough National Insurance contributions in the two tax years before your claim begins.

How much do you get on JSA?

New style Jobseeker’s Allowance is currently paid at:

  • £58.90 per week if you are under 25
  • £74.35 per week if you are 25 and over
  • £116.80 if you claim income-relates JSA as a couple

You may, however, get less money if you work part time or are on a personal/occupational pension.

Calculating how much income-based JSA you will receive is complicated.

You can use this benefits calculator to work out your entitlement based on your circumstances.

To calculate income-based JSA, your income is compared to an amount which the Government considers essential to live on.

This can vary from person to person and depend on your family circumstances.

Factors that can affect how much income-based JSA you receive include:

  • If you live alone or in a couple
  • If you or your dependants are disabled
  • If you’re caring for someone who has a disability
  • If you have savings of over £6,000
  • If you have another method of income
  • If you have housing costs, such as a mortgage you’re paying off

Jobseeker’s Allowance: What is Jobseeker’s Allowance? [REPORT]
New JSA rules changes for furloughed and SEISS receivers [EXPLAINED]
How much is the new style Jobseeker’s Allowance? [INSIGHT]

Am I eligible to claim JSA?

You can get JSA if you’re over 18 and under State Pension age and are:

  • Working less than 16 hours a week
  • Available to work full time
  • Actively looking for full-time work
  • Not in full-time education
  • Not claiming Income Support
  • Don’t have an illness or disability which means you can’t work

You can’t normally get JSA if you’re under 18, but there are some exceptions.

Contact your local Citizens Advice Bureau for more information.

If you claim income-based JSA, you might get extra payments to help with your housing costs.

These are usually paid straight to your landlord, lender, or mortgage provider.

As with additional benefits premiums, you will need to claim income-based JSA to get help with your housing costs.

You can claim both contribution-based and income-based JSA at the same time.

Source: Read Full Article