RUSSIA claims to have created a weapon that sneaks along the seafloor and creates “radioactive tsunamis.”
The Russian Defense Ministry has even released a video showing an underwater 'field-test' of the Poseidon 2M39 torpedo, leaving some experts concerned.
The nuclear weapon can be dropped onto the seabed by a submarine or ship and travel through shore defences until it reaches the desired location.
Then, it's nuclear warhead is designed to explode sending a tsunami of radioactive waves onto the targeted coastline.
Nuclear weapons can leave land radioactive and unsafe for human habitation so the impacts of a weapon like this could be devastating.
Radioactive water would also have serious environmental consequences and would destroy habitats for lots of species.
First announced in 2015, some people thought the Poseidon 2M39 wouldn't come to fruition but it seems Russia has been steaming ahead with the plans.
The weapon is said to move slowly and deep underwater but can boost its speed if detected.
Christopher A Ford, a former assistant secretary of state for International Security and Non-Proliferation, previously told CNN that the torpedo is being designed to "inundate U.S. coastal cities with radioactive tsunamis."
Russia has confirmed that the field test of the torpedo was successful.
Exact specifications remain confidential but it's thought the Poseidon 2M39 can travel at top speeds of 62 miles an hour, according to the Eurasian Times.
Russia is testing some of its latest weapons in the Arctic.
Satellite images have revealed large military bases in the snowy conditions.
Terrifying space weapons of the future
Here are three of the scariest…
Rods from God
- A strange but utterly terrifying weapon has been dubbed "rods from the God" and is based on the concept of creating man-made meteorites that can be guided towards the enemy.
- Instead of using rocks rods the size of telephone poles are deployed.
- These would be made out of tungsten — a rare metal that can stand the intense heat generated by entering Earth's atmosphere.
- One satellite fires the rods towards the Earth's atmosphere while the other steers them to a target on the ground.
- Reaching speeds of 7000mph they hit the ground with the force of a small nuclear weapon — but crucially creating no radiation fall out.
- As bizarre as it sounds, a US Congressional report recently revealed the military has been pushing ahead with the kinetic space weapons.
Molten metal cannons
- This intriguing idea is being developed by the US Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA).
- It is called the Magneto Hydrodynamic Explosive Munition or MAHEM.
- This game changing rail-gun can fire a jet of molten metal, hurled through space at several hundred miles per second by the most powerful electromagnets ever built.
- The molten metal can then morph into an aerodynamic slug during flight and pierce through another spacecraft or satellite and a munition explodes inside.
Space force ships
- Already the United States is powering head with its spacecraft, although China is busy developing one of their own.
- The top secret American XS-1 under development by DARPA.
- It can travel ten times the speed of sound and launch missiles.
- Meanwhile an unmanned craft is currently being developed in the China Aerodynamics Research and Development Centre in Mianyang, Sichuan province, which is also known as Base 29.
In other news, a supersonic plane that could fly you from London to New York in an hour is in the works.
The US military is working on a new hypersonic weapon that can hit targets at speeds of over 4,000 miles per hour.
And, the US military is reportedly developing a laser weapon that can generate the sound of a voice out of thin air.
What are your thoughts on nuclear weapons? Let us know in the comments…
We pay for your stories! Do you have a story for The Sun Online Tech & Science team? Email us at [email protected]
Source: Read Full Article